Soul of Vendrick, King of Drangleic
The King was wasted away, a shadow of
Use the soul of he who would link the flame
What makes a king?
Perhaps it is not important, as long as
A true monarch is much more than a ruler of men.
The undead king of Drangleic walks aimlessly in circles, dragging his sword behind him; he has since long become a hollow.
The fight can be started by attacking him a few times provided that enough Souls of a Giant (at least four are recommended) are in the player's possession which weaken Vendrick's defenses.
Once killed, Vendrick does not drop any items. Instead his soul and his armor set can be collected from behind a locked door in Shrine of Amana. The door will unlock once Vendrick is dead and if you are human.
Memory of the King
Can be spoken to here.
Activate Vendrick's pile of armor in Undead Crypt. Requires the Ashen Mist Heart and Crown of the Sunken King DLC.
If the player attacks him in this memory or tries to leave his room, the ashen mist will quickly fade and cause the player to return to the present.
This fight can only be fought solo.
- High Dark Resistance
- Medium Fire, Magic and Lightning Resistance
- Immune to poison
- Vertical sword smash: Vendrick smashes vertically with his sword on the ground. Roll to the right to avoid.
- Tracking vertical sword smash: Vendrick smashes vertically with his sword on the ground. This move has slight player-tracking abilities. Roll to the right to avoid just as the move comes down.
- Sweeping sword slash: Vendrick slashes horizontally from left to right. Vendrick can extend this move at will into a two-hit or three-hit combo. Roll to the right to avoid.
- Dark fireball: Vendrick casts a fireball which causes Curse. Roll to the right to avoid.
The King's defense is linked to the number of Souls of a Giant in your possession. If you have none, Vendricks' defenses are increased to 32 times the normal amount. This multiplier is halved for every Soul in possession, until his defenses are at normal levels when five Souls are possessed. It's recommended to have at least four of them before attempting to kill Vendrick.
Due to the incredible damage and range of his sword, the best way to nullify Vendrick moves is to stay really close to him, hugging his left leg and keeping him rotating leftwards. This will ensure that his vertical and horizontal swipes completely miss. Most players will not have enough health or defenses to survive more than two or even one hit from his melee attacks.
Use the Red Tearstone Ring by getting your health under 30% before entering the fight. This gives you a 20% damage boost. As Vendrick's attacks deal so much damage, it doesn't really matter if you have 30% or 100% health.
Buff your weapon, wield it in two hands and use all the offensive rings and armor you have. Hug Vendrick's left leg during the fight to avoid his attacks.
If you're having trouble avoiding his attacks, you can roll through both of Vendrick's horizontal slashes, provided your equip weight is sufficiently low. Ideally you should start rolling just before the attack connects (in the middle of his swing).
- His soul in Shrine of Amana can be collected only once per playthrough.
- Spells and items that specify bonus damage versus hollow enemies such as the Old Whip and the Soul Appease miracle do bonus damage against Vendrick.
- His defense debuff from Giant Souls is calculated when he is loaded in. Summoning player phantoms for Velstadt will also lower Vendrick's defenses regardless of Giant Souls.
- Due to the non permanent nature of the fog wall:
- Giant Souls will not be lost when going to NG+, but having more than five has no effect on Vendrick's defenses.
- If the player owns all three DLC Crowns a small cutscene will play.
- SOTFS PS3 edition vendrick seems weaker, wearing only a fully upgraded wanderer set and having only 1k health i survived every hit with roughly 100 hp when in original dark souls 2 i died instantly with 1.5k health and fully upgraded elite knight set
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: William Houston