The undead king of Drangleic walks aimlessly in circles, dragging his sword behind him; he has since long become a hollow.
The fight can be started by attacking him a few times provided that enough Souls of a Giant (at least four are recommended) are in the player's possession which weaken Vendrick's defenses.
Once killed, Vendrick does not drop any items. Instead his soul and his armor set can be collected from behind a locked door in Shrine of Amana. The door will unlock once Vendrick is dead and if you are human.
This fight can only be fought solo.
- Weak to Magic and Fire
- Immune to poison
- Vertical sword smash: Vendrick smashes vertically with his sword on the ground. Roll to the right to avoid.
- Tracking vertical sword smash: Vendrick smashes vertically with his sword on the ground. This move has slight player-tracking abilities. Roll to the right to avoid just as the move comes down.
- Sweeping sword slash: Vendrick slashes horizontally from left to right. Vendrick can extend this move at will into a two-hit or three-hit combo. Roll to the right to avoid.
- Dark fireball: Vendrick casts a fireball which causes Curse. Roll to the right to avoid.
Important: The king's defense is linked to the number of Souls of a Giant in your possession. If you have none, Vendricks' defenses are increased to 32 times the normal amount. This multiplier is halved for every Soul in possession, until his defenses are at normal levels when five Souls are possessed. It's recommended to have at least four of them before attempting to kill Vendrick.
Due to the incredible damage and range of his sword, the best way to nullify Vendrick moves is to stay really close to him, hugging his left leg and keeping him rotating leftwards. This will ensure that his vertical and horizontal swipes completely miss. Most players will not have enough health or defenses to survive more than two or even one hit from his melee attacks.
Use the Red Tearstone Ring by getting your health under 30% before entering the fight. This gives you a 20% damage boost. As Vendrick's attacks deal so much damage, it doesn't really matter if you have 30% or 100% health.
Buff your weapon, wield it in two hands and use all the offensive rings and armor you have. Hug Vendrick's left leg during the fight to avoid his attacks.
- His soul in Shrine of Amana can be collected only once per playthrough.
- Spells and items that specify bonus damage versus hollow enemies such as the Old Whip and the Soul Appease miracle do bonus damage against Vendrick.
- His defense debuff from Giant Souls is calculated when he is loaded in. Summoning player phantoms for Velstadt will also lower Vendrick's defenses regardless of Giant Souls
- Due to the non permanent nature of the fog wall, if you die your souls will be outside the boss gate.
- Giant Souls will not be lost when going to NG+, but having more than five has no effect on Vendrick's defenses.
Seeker of fire, coveter of the throne.
I am Vendrick, ruler of Drangleic.
Seeker of fire, deliverer of crowns.
What do you see in the flames?
Find the crowns, and your own answers.
The crowns hold the strength of lords from time long past.
Seek adversity, as befits you.
Seeker of fire, coveter of the throne.
I'm no king, I'm more fit to be a jester.
I was unaware of my own blindness.
We are feeble vessels, with feeble souls.
We will cast aside the prop of life, only to face greater hardship.
Are you another such fool? Or something more?
I fail to see your design, young moth.
I fail to see your design, wee moth.
But, I see very little, these days.
Seeker of fire, conqueror of Dark.
I too sought fire once.
With fire, they say, a true king can harness the curse.
A lie, but I knew no better…
Seeker of fire, you know not the depth of Dark within you.
It grows deeper still, the more flame you covet.
Flame, oh, flame…
I am king of this wretched, unraveled kingdom.
I subdued the giants, and claimed their strength.
So that I might step closer to fire…
Drangleic will fall, The fire will fade, and the souls of old will reemerge.
With Dark unshackled, a curse will be upon us…
And men will take their true shape…
If player attempts to attack Vendrick