The Pursuer, who seeks the bearer of the sign, will not rest until his target is slain.1
The Pursuer hunts down those branded by the curse, as if each Undead soul that he claims will atone one of his sins.2
A silent, hulking knight with a tendency to fall into battle from the talons of a massive bird. Levitates gracefully despite his massive bulk.
Dark Souls II and Scholar of the First Sin
Forest of Fallen Giants
Behind a locked door you need to open with the Soldier Key. This is his main boss battle, with a fog wall and a cutscene.
Square arena, where there's a Hollow Soldier throwing firebombs from one of the arena's corners.
This is a one-time encounter and he will not re-appear if you are defeated or leave the arena. Killing him here gives all the normal drops and the main boss fight will not occur.
Iron Keep, Smelter Demon's boss arena
When you return here after resting at a bonfire, he will appear. This fight can be repeated until he has been beaten.
If you leave the circular area, he will disappear and you will have to go back to the bonfire to reset him.
Drangleic Castle throne room
Two Pursuers will spawn and proceed to fight you. Bonfire Intensity 2 and beyond only.
If you leave the throne room, they will disappear and you will have to go back to the bonfire to reset them.
Scholar of the First Sin
A weaker version of the Pursuer will appear in Things Betwixt. After unblocking the third tree by unpetrifying the hollow, continue to the sex-change coffin and kill the two ogres. The Pursuer will appear soon after.
- In the courtyard from the Exile Holding Cell bonfire.
- From the Tower Apart bonfire, go to the chest containing the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring.
- From the Servant Quarters bonfire, go up and through the double illusionary walls to the Bracing Knuckle Ring area.
- From the Servant Quarters bonfire, go down into the room just before the Belfry Luna.
- Soul of the Pursuer (Only when killed in the Forest of Fallen Giants)
- Ring of Blades (Forest of Fallen Giants)
- Ring of Blades +1 (Iron Keep encounter or main Pursuer fight at Bonfire Intensity 2+)
- Ring of Blades +2 (Pursuer on the left in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 2+)
- Twinkling Titanite (Lost Bastille mini-bosses, Pursuer on the right in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 2+)
- Washing Pole (Pursuer on the right in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 3+)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
- Twinkling Titanite (Lost Bastille encounter, near the Tower Apart bonfire)
- Twinkling Titanite (Things Betwixt, near gender change coffin.)
- Using BOSS-TIER
- High Dark Resistance
- Medium Magic and Fire Resistance
- Very Low Lightning Resistance
- Vulnerable to Strike-type attacks
- Can be poisoned
|Attack||Damage||Damage Type||Parryable?*||Speed||Tracking (left/right)|
|Impale, sword glows blue, inflicts curse||Light||Melee||No||Medium|
|Triple combo (swing, shield bash, spin slash)||Heavy||Melee||Both|
|Triple combo (swing, shield bash, slam)||Heavy||Melee||Both|
|Triple combo (two stabs behind shield, levitates up, and plunges down)||Heavy||Melee||yes|
|Triple combo (three stabs behind shield, third stab delayed)||Heavy||Melee||yes|
|Triple combo (two stabs behind shield, one horizontal slash)||Heavy||Melee||yes||Both|
|Ranged magical slash||Magic||Fast|
|Dark magic orbs (2 quick waves of multiple orbs, will curse when hit multiple times)||Heavy||Dark||No||Both|
*Upon a successful parry, The Pursuer is staggered for a moment, enough for you to deal some heavy damage to him. He cannot be riposted.
Dodging and Blocking
- His rush attack is by far the easiest to avoid and all you really have to do is move towards him and to the right.
- His horizontal swing is trickier, but rolling towards him works.
- For his triple combo, you can either roll three times for each swing or stay back for the first two swings and then try rolling behind him for his final swing.
- When you see his sword start to glow blue, you should either circle or roll towards his shield hand. This attack inflicts Curse and lets the boss use a Dark magic attack.
Forest of Fallen Giants Strategy
There are two ballistae in the Forest of Fallen Giants arena. The ballista fires three projectiles each dealing around ~200 damage with a maximum damage output of ~900. This can be done rather easily solo or with a phantom. To do it solo, bait him over to the fog door. Once he is there, sprint towards the ballista and you should have time to fire it at him taking off a large chunk of his health. When used in co-op, have one player draw his attention and keep him in front of the ballista and have another fire it. Be warned that players can harm each other with them.
To do this solo, the easiest way is to position yourself in front of one of the ballistae and wait for him to do a dashing attack. The parrying time for this attack is quite easy and he will be stunned for ~5 seconds. This will allow you to shoot him if you hurry.
Parrying Ballista Strategy
There's an easy method to kill this boss in two shots:
- Get a shield, preferably the Buckler or the Small Leather Shield as they have larger parry windows.
- As soon as you enter his fog gate, run by wheel of the wagon on the left of the arena.
- He will always start with a dash toward you, so hit the parry button when he's about a meter away from you.
- If the parry is successful he will be stunned for about 5 seconds, so go shoot the ballista for 90% of his HP.
- Finish him with a Firebomb or just hit him once or twice.
If you mess up and the ballista misses him due to your poor positioning, remain calm and don't stand near the ballistae as he'll break them. Go around and bait him to dash somehere in front of them again.
Iron Keep Strategy
Once the fight starts, stay locked on and keep circling until he goes for the rush attack or curse stab. Dodge them and hit him once or twice, then back off and continue circling. Repeat this until he's defeated.
Start by locking on and circling until the metal staircase leading to the second bonfire is behind you. Go through the archway and bait out his dashing attack until he enters the archway. Lure him up to the top floor, then position yourself so that his dash takes him back down the steps, then move to the stairs, where you'll have time for one or two casts of a miracle/sorcery, and move back into position afterwards. Rinse and repeat.
Twin Pursuers Strategy
Bringing phantoms evens the odds quite well. In Scholar of the First Sin, small white sign NPC phantoms Bashful Ray and Pilgrim Bellclaire are available even if you've defeated Nashandra/Aldia. The NPC phantoms at the Throne of Want boss fog will leash back to the fog if you attempt to bring them backwards down the path, making them unusable for the Twin Pursuers.
If you just want the Ring of Blades +2 and the titanite drops rather than the masochistic thrill of fighting two Pursuers at once, then there is a way to get them one by one. When the Pursuer uses the impaling curse attack, just let him hit you. The second Pursuer will leave, turning the fight into one on one(This is no longer effective)
You can make one of the pursuer to leave without getting cursed by leaving the room when one of the pursuer is attacking (while the other one doing nothing) and then enter the room again. The reason for this is because if The Pursuer is doing an attacking animation it will not trigger his "leaving" animation. Best time to do this is when one of the pursuer is doing an attack with long animation like the curse stab, the shield combo, or the charge (with shield raised).
After beating the first Pursuer, if you come back to the throne room again, the second will spawn in and fight you one on one, so you won't lose out on any drops.
- There are no boss fog walls in the optional encounters. Phantoms can be used, though they may need to be small white sign phantoms if the area boss is already defeated.
- However, the Pursuer at Iron Keep can only be fought solo; summoning help of any kind will spawn a fog wall that banishes any phantoms that are present upon crossing it.
- When you fight him as a summoned Phantom during his one-time encounter near Cardinal Tower bonfire, you will get a full drop of souls (17,000 on NG) instead of usual 25% that you would get in the main boss fight. You also won't be sent back to your world.
- Dying at the same time as one of the Pursuers on the Twin Pursuers fight will make you unable to get the item that time around.
- Wearing the Hollow Skin prevents hollowing from the curse stab.
- Even though the one time encounter and the actual boss fight in the Forest of Fallen Giants appear to yield identical drops, souls, and be otherwise interchangeable, the one time encounter Pursuer has slightly lower defenses than the actual boss fight.
- When fighting him in the Forest of Fallen Giants, he can backstep off of the ground. He will stay floating in the air, however.