The Pursuer, who seeks the bearer of the sign, will not rest until his target is slain.1
The Pursuer hunts down those branded by the curse, as if each Undead soul that he claims will atone one of his sins.2
A silent, hulking knight with a tendency to fall into battle from the talons of a massive bird. Levitates gracefully despite his massive bulk.
- Forest of Fallen Giants: Square arena, where there's a Hollow Soldier throwing firebombs from one of the arena's corners. This is a one-time encounter and he will not re-appear if you are defeated or leave the arena. Killing him here gives all the normal drops and the main boss fight will not occur.
- Forest of Fallen Giants: Behind a locked door you need to open with the Soldier Key. This is his main boss battle, with a fog wall and a cutscene.
- Iron Keep, Smelter Demon's boss arena: When you return there after resting at a bonfire, he will appear. This fight can be repeated until he has been beaten.
- Drangleic Castle throne room: Two Pursuers will spawn and proceed to fight you. Bonfire Intensity 2 and beyond only.
Note: There are no boss fog walls in the optional encounters. If you leave the throne room, the two pursuers will dissapear and you will have to go back to the bonfire to reset them.
- Soul of the Pursuer (Only when killed in the Forest of Fallen Giants)
- Ring of Blades (Forest of Fallen Giants)
- Ring of Blades +1 (Iron Keep encounter or main Pursuer fight when Bonfire Intensity 2 or above)
- Ring of Blades +2 (Pursuer on the left in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 2 or above)
- Twinkling Titanite (Pursuer on the right in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 2 or above)
- Washing Pole (Pursuer on the right in Drangleic Castle, Bonfire Intensity 3 or above)
Weak against Strike attacks
Lightning seems to work better than other types of magic
High defense against Slash and Thrust attacks
Can be poisoned
|Attack||Damage||Damage Type||Parryable?*||Speed||Tracking (left/right)|
|Impale, sword glows blue, inflicts curse||Light||Melee||No||Medium|
|Triple combo (swing, shield bash, spin slash)||Heavy||Melee||Both|
|Triple combo (swing, shield bash, slam)||Heavy||Melee||Both|
|Ranged magical slash||Magic||Fast|
|Dark magic orbs||Heavy||Dark||No|
*Upon a successful parry, The Pursuer is staggered for a moment, enough for you to deal some heavy damage to him. He cannot be riposted.
Dodging and Blocking
- His rush attack is by far the easiest to avoid and all you really have to do is move towards him and to the right.
- His horizontal swing is trickier, but rolling towards him works.
- For his triple combo, you can either roll three times for each swing or stay back for the first two swings and then try rolling behind him for his final swing.
- When you see his sword start to glow blue, you should either circle or roll towards his shield hand.. This attack inflicts Curse and lets the boss use a Dark magic attack.
There are two ballistae in the Forest of Fallen Giants arena. The ballista fires three projectiles each dealing around ~200 damage with a maximum damage output of ~900. This can be done rather easily solo or with a phantom. To do it solo, bait him over to the fog door. Once he is there, sprint towards the ballista and you should have time to fire it at him taking off a large chunk of his health. When used in co-op, have one player draw his attention and keep him in front of the ballista and have another fire it. Be warned that players can harm each other with them.
To do this solo, the easiest way is to position yourself in front of one of the ballistae and wait for him to do a dashing attack. The parrying time for this attack is quite easy and he will be stunned for ~5 seconds. This will allow you to shoot him if you hurry.
Parrying Ballista Strategy
There's an easy method to kill this boss in two shots:
- Get a shield, preferably the Buckler or the Small Leather Shield as they have larger parry windows.
- As soon as you enter his fog gate, run by wheel of the wagon on the left of the arena.
- He will always start with a dash toward you, so hit the parry button when he's about a meter away from you.
- If the parry is successful he will be stunned for about 5 seconds, so go shoot the ballista for 90% of his HP.
- Finish him with a firebomb or just hit him once or twice.
If you mess up and the ballista misses him due to your poor positioning, remain calm and don't stand near the ballistae as he'll break them. Go around and bait him to dash somehere in front of them again.
Parry Video Strategy
Twin Pursuers Strategy
If you just want the Ring of Blades +2 and the titanite drops rather than the masochistic thrill of fighting two Pursuers at once, then there is a way to get them one by one. When the Pursuer uses the impaling curse attack just let him hit you. The second Pursuer will just melt into the floor and go away, turning the fight into one on one. Unless he spams his dark magic attack, it's no different to the earlier fights.
After beating the first Pursuer, if you come back to the throne room again, the second will spawn in and fight you one on one, so you won't lose out on any drops.
- When you fight him as a summoned Phantom during his one-time encounter near Cardinal Tower bonfire, you will get a full drop of souls (17,000 on NG) instead of usual 25% that you would get in the main boss fight. You also won't be sent back to your world.
- Dying at the same time as one of the Pursuers on the Twin Pursuers fight will make you unable to get the item that time around.