The Writhing Ruin is an ancient thing whose
Supposedly, the duke himself, an eccentric soul
A giant two-headed spider. During the fight, there are smaller spiders that start out in the area and more will spawn throughout the fight.
LocationBrightstone Cove Tseldora
Bonfire Ascetic respawn: Lower Brightstone Cove bonfire.
- Ashen Knight Boyd's summon sign is behind a pillar opposite of the fog gate. He can take care of the small spiders, freeing you up to attack Freja.
- SotFS: Bashful Ray's summon sign is in the house next to Ornifex's.
- SotFS: Manhuntress O'Harrah's summon sign is on the left side in the room with a lot of spiders before you enter the cave to the Boss
- High Magic, Lightning and Dark Resistance
- Medium Fire Resistance
- Beam attack: Mid-long range, high damage beam attack. Easy to evade if you circle Freja counterclockwise. Cannot be blocked.
- Web spit: Shoots forth 3-4 projectiles that will make you walk very slowly if you're hit.
- Acid lunge: Shoots forth a gush of acid, this will degrade armor durability severely.
- Acid spit: Stomps lightly around and spits acid from both heads.
- Mandible crush: If you're close to one of the heads, she will lunge forward a small distance and snap her jaws shut. This attack does fairly high damage, but can be rolled right through.
- Forward stomp: If you're at a semi-close distance she will stomp her front legs four times.
- Berserk stomp: If you're very close and under her sides she will stomp with all her legs a few times. She will also periodically spit acid for the duration of this.
- Full body lunge/swing: Freja will plant all her legs into the ground, raise her body and will swing at you. Her legs will not move after having planted them and begun preparing this attack.
- Jump attack: Occasionally, she will jump in the air and put some distance between you and her. Be careful as this does a lot of damage and can kill you but it is also easily blocked or rolled out of.
- Body Slam: A rare attack where Freja will leap into the air and slam her body into the ground. She is stunned for a while after this.
- Only her heads can be damaged.
- At the start of the fight five small spiders are in front of you.
- More small spiders spawn later in the fight, be ready for them.
- It is quite safe to stand at her sides. You only need to worry about her legs skewering you if you stray too far from her. If you're close enough when she turns around you'll get caught on her mandibles and be pushed along, further ensuring you stay out of harms way. Beware the little spiders though. Her huge leaps however can kill you depending where she jumps to, but in general no matter where you are in the room you're not at huge risk of dying.
- Be outside her range and she will only use the beam attack, this leaves her other face completely defenseless. This also gives an opportunity to kill the smaller spiders.
- When using ranged weapons, keep in mind that her legs can block your spells or arrows. It's safer to stay out of her melee range, but when at close range most of your attacks will actually hit the head and do damage.
- The small spiders can be kept at bay by sacrificing use of the left hand, and wielding a lit torch for the duration of the fight. This only works in Scholar Of The First Sin. Will not work in base game.
- From NG+ and beyond, Freja will appear once outside the boss fight room, similar to the Pursuer. She will appear on a cliffside right before the entrance to the chapel where Prowling Magus & Congregation is fought. If you hurt her here, the amount of damage you do to her will continue to the "true" boss fight. This damage is permanent and will remain on your next attempt if you die in the fight proper.
- Her heads can be cut off if enough damage is dealt to them. In order to further damage Freja, one has to aim for the other head. The cut-off head won't disappear when Freja's defeated, remaining in the stage as a trophy.
- The beam attack is capable of passing through everything, even the fog wall.
- The small spiders may have a limit to how many will spawn, but the limit is very high.
- It is possible to knock off both of Freja's heads, but only if she is healed through the pyromancy Warmth. Note that doing so will make her impossible to kill, and will cause her to continuously spam her Berserk Stomp attack. She can be killed if attacked with weapons that ignore armor.
- If you do not kill the small spiders outside the boss room, they will swarm you once you kill Freja, as the fog wall will disappear. Be prepared to run or heal quickly if you finish the boss fight with low health.
- When Freja performs her jumping attack, it's possible that she'll land exactly on top of you and you will get trapped inside her shell (this happened to me twice in a row). You can't be hurt and you can't hurt her, you just have to wait for her to jump again so you can run away.