- After spending 14,000 souls on his services (like reinforcement and weapon infuse, not buying items) he will gift you a Titanite Slab when you talk with him. This unlocks the Smith For Life achievement/trophy.
- It's unclear how McDuff is able to use the ember, as Blacksmith Lenigrast states that the art of using embers to fortify weapons was lost long ago.
The Lost Bastille
He is in the lower part of the Bastille, where three dogs guard a gate at the base of a long staircase, which has an explosive barrel and a large enemy at its peak.
You can enter McDuff's room in the following ways:
- The Bastille Key will allow you to simply open the door.
- Push the explosive barrel down the stairs to destroy the weakened wall to the left of the door, revealing a bonfire and the rear entrance to McDuff's smithy. If the barrel does not explode on its own, you can simply nudge it into place and detonate it yourself with a Firebomb. May be able to set off barrel with any weapon that does Fire damage. A sufficiently large enough weapon, such as a Great Hammer or Ultra Greatsword should also work.
To enable use of his services, you must hand him the Dull Ember, which is located in the Iron Keep (in Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First it is located next to the Tower Apart bonfire in the Lost Bastille). Additionally, light the brazier in his room to move him to his blacksmithing anvil.
- Can reinforce and repair equipment.
- Can infuse weapons and shields with various elements and status effects.
|Royal Kite Shield||1||2,400|
|Large Titanite Shard||∞||2,500|
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: Tim Bentinck