The Old Iron King was possessed of a great bounty
of ore, but was incinerated by a creature that rose
from the infernal depths of the earth.
The Smelter Demon wields a greatsword and is a force to be reckoned with.
In a relatively small circular room, after lowering the chain bridge in the large open furnace area.
- Lucatiel of Mirrah: her sign is directly before the fog gate to the boss. Sign only appears after 3rd encounter with her.
- Very High Fire Resistance
- Medium Magic, Lightning and Dark Resistance
- Weak to Strike and Thrust Attacks
- Can be poisoned
During this fight, the Smelter Demon will progressively increase his attack speed and damage output, and Fire damage will be added. This is not based on how much damage is done throughout the fight, but based on how much time progresses. Consequently, Smelter demon can have full health, and have his flaming sword buff.
|Attack||Damage||Damage Type||Parryable?*||Speed||Tracking (left/right)|
|Horizontal swing (left to right)||Medium||Melee/Fire||No||Fast|
|Backhand swing (right to left)||Medium||Melee/Fire||No||Fast|
|Plunging sword impale||High||Melee/Fire||-||Medium|
|AOE fire burst||High||Fire||-||Slow||None|
This battle starts as a fairly straight forward melee fight. He is able to combo nearly all of his attacks, but with some rules:
- Any attack, with the exception of the AOE burst, can be executed without any set-up attack.
- AOE burst can only occur after the plunging attack.
- Overhead smash, sword thrust and the AOE attacks are used at the end of a combo and have no follow-up.
After a short period of time, or after the demon takes about 1/4 damage, he will charge up and light his abdomen on fire. During his charge up animation, he takes less damage. This doesn't change his attack pattern, but it does increase the speed of his swings and his damage output. Starting in this stage, being in close proximity (melee range) will deal Fire damage to your character.
Once he loses about 1/3 of his health bar, he will do another charge up and plunge his sword through his abdomen. Again, he takes reduced damage during this animation. With fast enough damage output, it is possible to skip directly from Stage 1 to Stage 3 of this encounter.
While his attack patterns don't change during this stage, all attacks begin to deal significant Fire damage. In addition, his thrust and overhead smash attacks will also gain a fire projectile that travels in a straight line from the tip of his sword and that will most likely one shot you. Be careful for the AOE attack: it gets delayed in this stage.
If you do not currently have these items/spells, there is a Pharros Contraption before the fight on the building where you find the Dull Ember. It releases water which you can walk in to. While "damp" you can see your foot steps and you will take significantly reduced Fire damage. Some vases around the Keep also contain water. Equip the Flame Quartz Ring if you have it. Heal when necessary, two Lifegems should be enough to counteract the damage he does by being close to you.
Stay locked on and close to him throughout the battle, only leaving his proximity when he does his AOE attack where he slams into the ground with his sword and creates a delayed explosive blast, or when you have to heal. Roll out of the way when he uses any of his other attacks.
Stay close to him in the first phase and try to dodge his attacks: you have room for error in this stage, as he shouldn't kill you in one strike, so learn his patterns since they will remain unchanged for the rest of the fight. When he enters phase 2, just stop hugging him, but stay close to him. You can bait his overhead slash by staying in front of him: just dodge left/right and use your spell of choice.
When he does the jump attack, avoid it and run away from him, and you'll have the chance to cast many spells. If he goes for the AOE you can cast another two or three times.
- Smelter Demon Strategies Video: Ranged, Sword & Board and Power Stance
- Melee Solo Video Strategy
- Caster Video Strategy
- Smelter Demon Faith + Lucatiel Strategy- Skip to 27:00
- Solo Battle and Additional Partnership with NPC Lucatiel of Mirrah
- Avoid rolling into the walls of the arena, if at all possible. There is a glitch that can cause your character to get trapped in the wall. It is possible to escape this by rolling, but it is unreliable. More likely, it is a death sentence when this happens. if this happens do a jump attack, it works much better than rolling to free your self
- After defeating the Smelter Demon, rest at the bonfire and go back downstairs to the arena and you will be able to fight the Pursuer for a second time. You cannot summon help for this fight.