How to Join
Talk to Darkdiver Grandahl in all three of his locations and exhaust his dialogue. It doesn't matter which order you visit these locations.
Drop down near the two worms, you should see a door. In order to open it, drop down again. Continue into the cave to find two Elite Giants, killing them will give you the Forgotten Key to the door. He can be found behind it.
Go right from the Giant Basilisk (after the Shaded Ruins bonfire) until you come to the path to the boss between the two buildings. Instead of going through, look around the nearby grassy area, there is scaffolding where you will drop down to the area with him.
In the room near the first bonfire with six doors you have to active with souls. Activate and go through the last door on the left and you will fall through the floor. The Under Drangleic Castle bonfire will be nearby, as well as Darkdiver Grandahl.
- Gain access to the Dark Chasm of Old and Darklurker.
- Progress in the covenant for unique rewards: two hexes and the Xanthous Set.
- The Dark Chasm of Old has unique invasion mechanics unlike anywhere else, available only to covenant members.
Covenant RewardsIn short, conquer and light the fires in all three Dark Chasms of Old and defeat the optional boss, Darklurker.
|0||Join covenant.||Abyss Seal ring|
|1||Clear one Dark Chasm of Old.||Resonant Soul hex|
|2||Clear all three Dark Chasms of Old.
Light all three sconces.
|Great Resonant Soul hex|
|3||Defeat Darklurker.||Climax hex, Xanthous Set|
- After you initially join the covenant, Darkdiver Grandahl will open the entrance to the Dark Chasm of Old. The first time is free, but each time after that costs one Human Effigy.
- Leaving/dying in a Dark Chasm of Old will require you to give Darkdiver Grandahl a Human Effigy to reopen the portal.
- After you defeat Darklurker, all entrances will be permanently opened until the next NG+ cycle. Using a Bonfire Ascetic on the Under Castle Drangleic bonfire will revive him, as well as the four phantoms, although the brazier will stay lit. The other two bonfires do not work. This means Darklurker can only be reached by going through the Dark Chasm of Old area in Drangleic Castle. Also, you still need to be a member of the Pilgrims of Dark covenant to enter the portal, but you will not need a human effigy.
- The dungeons themselves contain multiple abyss phantoms, they will be a mix of tanks, a miracle-casters and a certain specialist (archer, swordsman, sorcerer or pyromancer). They are very fast and deal high damage, and you will often have to fight them simultaneously, so doing this in the endgame is recommended.
- The goal in these dungeons is to light a sconce with a torch (use a Flame Butterfly). After doing so, find a fog gate that will disable when the last phantom is defeated and drop down into the hole. Instead of falling to your death, you will be transported out of the dungeon.
- When all three Dungeons are cleared and the fires lit, dropping down will lead to the Darklurker boss fight.
- Exhausting Darkdiver Grandahl's dialogue after attaining Rank 3 will cause him to gift you the Dragon Chime.
- You will not receive the Covenant rewards a second time when completing the Chasms in NG+ or above. Only the Dragon Chime will be given after killing Darklurker again
Invading in the Dark Chasm of Old
The Dark Chasm of Old has unique invasion mechanics available only to covenant members. To invade in the covenant, use a Cracked Red Eye Orb or a Red Sign Soapstone while in a Dark Chasm of Old. If using a Cracked Red Eye Orb, you can invade any of the three Chasms regardless of which one you're in. If using a Red Sign Soapstone, it will appear only in the Chasm you placed it, and other players can summon you with it.
When invading through either method, players will spawn as an Abyss Spirit.
- Players in any of the three Dark Chasms can host up to three invaders at the same time.
- The NPC enemies will aggro on and attack invaders, not just the host.
- Invaders can attack the host, NPC phantoms, and other invaders.
- Invaders can use healing items such as Estus Flasks, Lifegems, and Amber Herbs, just like the host can.
- If an invader deals the finishing blow to any player (either the host or another invader), they fulfill the conditions of their invasion, receive a Bonfire Ascetic and souls, and are returned to their own world. If a host deals the finishing blow to an invader, they also receive a Bonfire Ascetic and souls. If the host dies, only the invader who dealt the killing blow is awarded and all other invaders are returned to their own world.
- If an invader has ranks in either the Brotherhood of Blood or Blue Sentinels covenants, they will have their respective auras while invading.
- The host cannot leave the area while an invader is present, as the fog wall will not lift until all NPCs and invaders are dead.