King of Iron Keep. Large flame-wielding bull demon.
Holder of one of the four Great Souls. Protects one of the four Primal Bonfires.
- Extremely High Fire Resistance
- Medium Magic and Dark Resistance
- Low Lightning Resistance
- Can be poisoned
|Attack||Damage||Damage Type||Parryable?||Speed||Tracking (left/right)|
|Fist Pound (single)||???||Normal||No||Medium||Neither|
|Fist Pound (double)||???||Normal||No||Medium||Neither|
|Fist Pound (Firestorm)||Heavy||Fire||No||Medium||Neither|
|Forward Lava Stream||Medium||Fire||No||Medium||Left/Right|
Old Iron King highly telegraphs his attacks. However the small arena size causes difficulty. Always be mindful of how close you are to the edge especially when he uses his flame breath or lava stream (which track you).
It is easier to deal with him, when solo, if he is standing near the initial fog gate, as you can use the L-Shaped wall to help block some of his fire attacks. When he burrows in the lava, he'll reappear near where you're standing a few seconds later. Just simply stand near the fog gate until he surfaces to keep him in that part of the area.
- Some sort of ranged attack is recommended.
- On entering the boss arena there is a 'L' in the wall to your back. Hiding behind this wall is an excellent escape from most of his attacks (note: the lava stream is not blocked by the wall).
- Make sure to always roll sideways to evade his attacks, or else you will roll into the puddle of lava in the back of the platform.
- Using a high fire resistance shield (ex: Gyrm Greatshield) + fire resistance ring can help to block his fire attack including the beam attack but it takes a lot of stamina.
- (Scholar of the first sin): Summon Manhunter O'Harrah. Her summoning sign is located in the closet floor to the bonfire floor. She cannot survive past one or two strong attacks from the boss especially if she is knocked into the lava. To extend her help in the fight, while she attacks the boss from afar, the host or someone else should attract the boss's attention. Though this strategy may not necessarily involve the person tanking a boss's attacks but instead attracting the boss's attack to a different location to hers and then dodging the boss's attacks.
The stage you fight him in is pretty small and makes it easy for you to misstep and fall into the lava, so be careful in this fight.
His moves listed above are all slow and easily avoided:
- Fist pound single or double - roll sideways.
- Fist pound (Firestorm) - roll away and try to avoid the fire columns.
- Horizontal swipe - roll towards it.
- Straight Flame Breath - move to the fog gate at the door used to exit the boss battle and hug the fog. The arc around the door will protect you regardless of the boss' position.
- Sideways Flame breath - back out of the range of the flames, or by roll through it; rolling works best if you're very close to him, but be careful not to fall into the lava.
- Lava Stream - back away or avoid sideways - very punishable.
- Shockwave - when he crosses his hands (only when you're close to him), move away. Easily dodgeable if noticed in time.
He's generally more likely to use the beam and fire-breathing attacks if you're farther away from him, and if you avoid them by backing away, he will start using ranged attacks exclusively, making it difficult to get close again. If you hug him too long he will use his shockwave attack which is easily dodged but isn't punishable.
Keeping the target lock on him makes it easier to roll sideways through his attacks without losing sight of him and/or falling into the lava, but when he brings one of his fists down, turn it off so you can attack the arm from the side. Then immediately lock on again so you can avoid his next attack.
Do note that when he emerges from the lava the lava splatters can damage you (about 700 damage on NG++).
Easy Melee Strategy (no hits)
Best used with a Lightning Infused or Gold Pine Resin buffed weapon while two-handing it, as you will not be using your shield.
- Immediately after zoning in run behind the L shaped section of the wall and angle the camera to face the boss.
- Stay behind the wall until you see the boss prepare his Lava Stream (Palm Laser) attack.
- Before his arm is fully out-stretched move to your right, you should be to the right side of the beam as it is firing. During this time attack the boss' arm, and then retreat to the wall once he begins to pull it back.
- When the boss ducks under the lava, run to where he was located in order to make him resurface in the same spot.
- Repeat the steps above until the boss is defeated.
Easy Ranged Strategy (no hits)
Using the +1 Lighting shortbow found in the fire traps down the ladder from Eygil's Idol and about 100-200 wooden arrows, you can take down the Old Iron King without taking damage.
- After dying once, the boss will spawn directly next to the fog gate.
- Run straight to the L shaped wall, and take 3-4 shots with the bow, ducking behind the wall to avoid the flame attacks.
- You can usually get 1 or 2 extra shots in at the end of each flame breath attack once the flames start to dissipate before the next attack.
- Wait for the lava beam attack, and walk to the right into the arena. the reason for this being, he can't move fast enough to target you so walking will evade him, and he will stay in that position long enough for another 4 shots. If you walk left you're stuck behind the wall and miss the biggest opportunity in the fight to cause damage.
- He will eventually dive under the lava, immediately run to the little wall on the far side of the fog gate. He will re-emerge in the same spot. Every time he comes back up, he will always do a short range melee or flame attack, so you can stand in the arena near the L wall for 4 hits.
- After 3 or 4 lava dives, he will ALWAYS resurface on the side near the L wall. Stand near the fog gate a couple of feet out. His attack pattern is as follows
- Flame sweep from (your) left to right. Run to behind the L shape wall, and attack for 4 shots. He will not turn that far.
- Lava beam. Run back to where you were standing for the flame sweep, he will miss you while running giving you time to attack for another 4 shots
- Flame sweep
- Lava beam
- After a few times running back and forth, he will give up and dive into the lava. stand near the fog gate so he will come up there.
- Repeat until flawless victory
- He must be defeated to access the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC.