The queen, Nashandra, has a secret, Dark and ancient. She is the smallest piece of Manus, the Father of the Abyss.
Long ago, after his defeat in the lost land of Oolacile, he split into miniscule fragments. As the fragments recollected, they assumed a human form - Nashandra.
She convinced Vendrick to cross the sea and pilfer a mighty prize from the Giants. She brought a Dark-like peace to the Kingdom of Drangleic, but eventually Vendrick realized something was amiss. He fled and refused to take part in Nashandra's plans any longer. But now she has found you, the new Heir to the Throne of Want…1
The final Boss of the game. Nashandra was the Queen of Drangleic having been married to Vendrick, King of Drangleic. She came to the kingdom from a faraway land, eventually convincing the king to attack The Land of the Giants in order to claim a "prize" from the giants (possibly a Great Flame or the Throne of Want). Vendrick, along with Nashandra and his army, came upon the shores of The Land of Giants to pillage and bring back this prize. With it he materialized the Giant Golems to help build Drangleic.
Nashandra helped bring a "dark-peace" to the land, but Vendrick slowly realized her plans were not of greater good, but for greater evil. The player meets a manifestation of her in Drangleic Castle, and she explains to the Cursed Undead that Vendrick never took the real throne (Throne of Want). Her true and terrible form is met within the Throne of Want boss room after defeating the Throne Defender and Throne Watcher. After defeating her, you are free to take the throne for yourself as the next monarch of Drangleic.
- Benhart of Jugo: Large white sign. Located to the left of the boss fog. Only available if you've progressed his quest.
- Head of Vengarl: Large white sign. Located to the right of the boss fog. Only available if you completed his quest.
- Scholar of the First Sin: Bashful Ray. Small white sign. In the Ruin Sentinels/Stone Soldiers room, near one of the two torch-holding golem statues in the back.
- Scholar of the First Sin: Pilgrim Bellclaire. Small white sign. Outside of the Dragonriders boss room. Can be brought down to this boss fight if the path is cleared first.
- Scholar of the First Sin: Bradley of the Old Guard. To the left of the fog gate. Only available if Aldia is ready to show up after Nashandra. Check his page for additional information.
Note: A maximum of 3 summons can be used at once.
- Downward scythe strike
- Horizontal three-swing scythe combo
- Horizontal dark beam
- Vertical dark beam
- Dark explosion
- Summon curse orbs
- High Dark Resistance
- Medium Fire and Magic Resistance
- Low Lightning Resistance
- Can be poisoned
In order to avoid a two-part boss fight, kill the Throne Watcher and Defender before you kill the Giant Lord.
Following these general tactics and tips will help:
- Immediately when you enter, she will summon Curse orbs. Avoid standing near them, they will curse you and do damage over time. Hitting them destroys them.
- Bring plenty of Lifegems to counteract the damage done by the orbs.
- Make use of the Ring of Binding or Hollow Skin to reduce the effect of curse.
- If you're helping someone else with co-op, focus on the curse orbs. Phantoms cannot be cursed.
- Not every weapon can be used to destroy her curse orbs. Whips and spells in particular will not destroy them, however melee attacking with spellcasting tools may.
- Watch out for the edges of the arena, it's easy to accidentally fall into the water and die.
- If you stay out of her melee range, she tends to use her beam attacks which are easy to dodge. This is a good time to heal.
- If you kill the Throne Defender and Watcher prior to fighting Nashandra, you have an opportunity to make the fight completely trivial. Before Nashandra spawns, hurl any type of projectile towards the point at which she first appears during the fight. If you time it right and the projectile is within Nashandra's model when she spawns, then she will remain inactive throughout the entire fight.
This tactic is to be done solo or with phantoms who know what they're doing:
- First order of business is to get rid of the curse orbs them; if you don't, your curse bar will raise and raise and raise AND you'll take damage (as long as you're in the circle). One swing and the orbs will disappear (a light weapon in a second or third weapon slot is recommended for hitting the orbs quickly). Also, don't worry about getting cursed; it comes with the boss. Lock on to her so you can keep an eye on her and circle around, cutting the orbs as you go.
- Once the orbs are gone, heal and get close to her. She has two scythe attacks: one is a strong downward strike, easily dodged to the left or right. This attack leaves her open. Hit her once or twice. The second attack is a horizontal three swing combo. Her first two swings are rather rhythmic, but the third swing lags a bit. Make sure you wait a couple extra (milli)seconds before attempting to dodge it. Again, follow with one or two hits.
- Be wary of her beam attack. She has two types: one moves horizontal, one moves vertical. If you see her about to shoot the beam, sprint towards her and attempt to get behind her. If you can't do that, still move towards her. You can dodge under the beam if it's horizontal. If it's vertical, be ready to dodge to the left or right.
- Also be wary of her dark explosion attack; you can tell she's about to do it when her chest AND hand glows. She'll bring her hand to her chest, nod her head, and blow up. Thankfully, it's easy to read and doesn't have very large range so it can be dodged easily.
- If you're slow to kill her, she'll most likely spawn the curse orbs again later in the fight. At this point, all that's required is repetition.
- Note that she will follow you around the room at certain points. It is possible to position yourself by the entrance wall, giving yourself space to dodge, and being out of range of the curse orbs, allowing for a less frantic fight. When she spawns more orbs, they will likely be out of range as well.
For those with low offense but high defense, this boss becomes a trivial if long winded one. Use a shield that has high physical resistance or just roll to avoid attacks.
When she summons curse orbs get far out of their range and wait for her. She will attempted a few beam attacks which you can either just dodge or take the opportunity to fire a few arrows.
When she approaches you keep your shield up. She will slash twice in a row side to side, and normally finish off with a powerful downward strike. When up close dodging the downward attack is easy and leaves her open to one or two attacks.
Rinse and repeat this until she re-summons the curse orbs. The original orbs will be gone so head over the other side of the arena and repeat the strategy.
Note: that after losing 50% hp she will use an AOE shockwave attack when you are strafing her. Its highly telegraphed and has a short range. Also she can perform an additional third slash into her two hit combo so wait for the downward strike.
- This NPC has many unused dialogue lines.
- If following the Benhart of Jugo questline then this is the fourth encounter for him, not the Throne Defender and Throne Watcher.
- Defeating Nashandra while having a member of the Heirs of the Sun covenant in your party will reward you with a Sunlight Medal. [Has Been Tested With 2 Party members both in Heirs of The Sun patch 1.07]
- Speaking to her in Drangleic Castle will make all bonfires visible in the travel menu, even the ones not found yet.
- If Throne Defender & Throne Watcher are defeated with the Giant's Kinship already in the player's inventory, Nashandra will enter the arena in a special cutscene after the previous boss battle. Summoned phantoms will not fulfill their duty until Nashandra is slain, if this happens.
- If you throw a firebomb onto the exact spot where Nashandra spawns before the cutscene plays, she may glitch, and be stuck standing still for the entire fight. This makes the fight easier, of course.
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: Harriet Kemsley