Majula is the central town-hub in Dark Souls II. There are several NPCs here, as well as a bonfire on the edge of town near the cliff. Emerald Herald is near the bonfire, and is the character who allows you to level up.
NPCs you meet and rescue along your quest will gather at the shrine over time and allow you to purchase Sorceries, Pyromancies, and other useful items.
Majula is often referred to as a garbage dump; the exiles of Drangleic were often sent to this area, which is why all the shacks and houses are so run down.
The mansion house in Majula contains many points of interest.
- Things Betwixt
- Forest of Fallen Giants
- Heide's Tower of Flame
- Huntsman's Copse - requires talking to Licia of Lindeldt
- The Pit
- Grave of Saints
- The Gutter
- Shaded Woods - requires Fragrant Branch of Yore
- The Far Fire
Near the cliff in front of the blacksmith's house.
- Merchant Hag Melentia
Appears after exhausting her dialogue in Forest of Fallen Giants and killing the Last Giant.
- Cale the Cartographer
Appears after exhausting his dialogue in Forest of Fallen Giants, killing the Last Giant and clearing the enemies in the basement of the mansion.
- Licia of Lindeldt
Moves to the rotunda room after exhausting her dialogue in Heide's Tower of Flame.
- Carhillion of the Fold
Appears after exhausting his dialogue in No-man's Wharf and killing Flexile Sentry.
- Rosabeth of Melfia
Appears after having used a Fragrant Branch of Yore to unpetrify her and giving her new clothes.
- Benhart of Jugo
Sitting on the path between Majula and Shaded Woods. Moves elsewhere after you exhaust his dialogue and unpetrify Rosabeth.
Dark Souls II
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
If you just started the game, your first trip should be to Forest of Fallen Giants. Although other areas are also early accessible from Majula, they contain dangerous foes and are best visited later.
Path to Forest of Fallen Giants
There is a path near the bonfire. Enter the tunnel, there is a metal chest in an alcove to your right. Follow the tunnel until you encounter a gate. Pull the lever and enter Forest of Fallen Giants.
Path to Heide's Tower of Flame
Between Shalquoir's house and path to Company of Champions there is an entrance. For now, ignore the mechanism in the rotunda room. Follow the stairs down. There is a metal chest to the left at the bottom of the stairs. You will see a big gate, open it with a pulley and enter Heide's Tower of Flame.
Path to Huntsman's Copse
You can only enter this area if you defeated the Dragonrider and talked to Licia of Lindeldt. If you did so, she moved to the rotunda room. Talk to her here and she will offer to open the path to Huntsman's Copse for 2,000 souls.
Path to Grave of Saints and the Gutter
If you already finished Earthen Peak and killed the boss there, Laddersmith Gilligan will be sitting next to the Pit. You can pay him to set up ladders that will lead you down to these areas. As an alternative you can buy a Silvercat Ring from Sweet Shalquoir which will reduce damage taken from falling. Drop down one ledge at a time and heal when you take damage. First opening will lead to Grave of Saints and the one beneath it leads to the Gutter.
Path to Shaded Woods
Backtrack as you would go to Things Betwixt but go right. You will enter the path that leads to Shaded Woods. Benhart of Jugo is sitting here. He can't move forward just as you, until you unpetrify Rosabeth of Melfia. She was turned to stone and is blocking the lever. Use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to unpetrify her and unlock the entrance to Shaded Woods.
- The Far Fire bonfire here is the only bonfire you can use to reinforce Estus Flasks with Sublime Bone Dust.
- On the monument by the sea where Saulden sits, the plaque next to him will disclose the number of "Global Deaths" experienced by all players of Dark Souls II at the moment you read it. If the game is in offline mode the plaque will show the number of deaths on your current character.
- For every level of Bonfire Intensity (up to 8), another non-respawning Skeleton is added to the basement of the mansion. They have a 100% chance to drop a Human Effigy.
- The flames on the mansion map turn to blue if you use a total of 8 Bonfire Ascetic (not counting playthrough number) on the corresponding bonfire of each flame.
- The shattered remains of the Lordvessel from Dark Souls can be found in the basement of the mansion.
- There is another plaque behind the monument. If you were to examine it prior to patch 1.08, a message will be displayed saying The text is illegible.
- However, for reasons unknown, prior to patch 1.08, the plaque in the Portuguese version of the game read Os gigantes cruzaram os mares, talvez para voltar para casa, which translates to "The giants crossed the seas, perhaps to return home".
- This plaque as of patch 1.08 (22 July 2014) reads "Seek the land of an ancient king, in the Black Gulch, deep below" in all versions of the game, likely added to suggest that the player go to Black Gulch in order to find the entrance to Shulva, Sanctum City, the first area of the Crown of the Sunken King DLC.