A warm, soft, shadow-like effigy.
Use this item to reverse Hollowing.
It also weakens the links to other worlds,
preventing invasions and most cooperation.
Peer closely at an effigy, and one begins
to perceive a human form, but whose form
it takes depends on the person looking.
- Reverse hollowing to regain human form and max HP.
- When burned while resting at a bonfire, disables most forms of multiplayer activity and prevents invasions for a limited time1 in that bonfire area. One must remain in that area for the timer to expire. Time spent outside that area will not count towards the timer.
Where to buy:
- Five sold by Merchant Hag Melentia
- 13 are sold by Grave Warden Agdayne in the Undead Crypt
- Three sold by Darkdiver Grandahl. You need to at least join the Pilgrims of Dark covenant in order to make him available as a merchant.
- Five sold by Magerold of Lanafir in the Iron Keep
Chest and Corpse locations:
- Found in a chest on the second floor of the Fire Keepers' dwelling in Things Betwixt
- Five In a chest under the rope bridge when going from Majula to Forest of Fallen Giants (Note: This chest will replenish if a Bonfire Ascetic is used at the nearby bonfire)
- On a body near the Heide Knight in Forest of Fallen Giants
- Treasure in Forest of Fallen Giants, after the boulder trap in the cave where Cale the Cartographer is.
- Treasure in Forest of Fallen Giants, on the scaffolding.
- One on a body resting on the railing near the first bonfire in Heide's Tower of Flame
- Five in a chest in Heide's Tower of Flame, right before the Old Dragonslayer boss fight
- In the tunnel from Heide's Tower of Flame to No-Man's Wharf, the first item in front of you
- In No-Man's Wharf, on top of a row boat in the last section
- Near the Heide Knight in the Lost Bastille, down in the rubble of the ruined wall
- At the bottom of the ladder that leads to the long hallway with cells and the Ruin Sentinels boss fight in the Lost Bastille
- After the Servant's Quarters bonfire in the Lost Bastille, on the edge of the wall behind some boxes
- One in the last poison mist of Harvest Valley, in an alcove (three at Bonfire Intensity 2 or above)
- Earthen Peak, on a platform in the room with large gears
- At the end of Belfry Sol on a corpse
- Treasure in Iron Keep. At the Threshold Bridge bonfire, directly below the staircase (beware of fire damage).
- Treasure in Sinner's Rise. Follow the outside stairs downwards, on the broken end lies a corpse with the treasure
- On a body in the misty part of the Shaded Woods
- Treasure in Shaded Woods behind a pillar, near the Head of Vengarl
- Three in a chest in the open area with Lion Clan Warriors in Shaded Woods
- Five in a chest in Brightstone Cove Tseldora. At the Royal Army Campsite bonfire, located inside a stone house which is accessible by jumping down the well. (Note: This chest will replenish if a Bonfire Ascetic is used here)
- Treasure in Shrine of Amana, just before the fog gate leading to the Crumbled Ruins bonfire
- Treasure in Shrine of Winter after the Heide Knight
- Dropped by Old Ironclad Soldiers in Forest of Fallen Giants
- Dropped by Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame
- Dropped by Stray Dogs in various areas
- Dropped by Skeletons. Guaranteed drop from the ones in the Majula mansion (one skeleton per Bonfire Intensity level, max 8, do not respawn)
- Dropped by Amana Aberration in Shrine of Amana
- Starting gift choice
- Gift from Lucatiel of Mirrah when you meet her for the second time (exhaust her dialogue)
- Six can be obtained by killing Strowen the Fire Keeper, or by returning to her after obtaining the King's Ring
- Altar Of Amana in Shrine of Amana restores your humanity as long as you do not have any effigies in your inventory. This includes having effigies in your item box or dropping them on the ground. See the article itself for info on how to access the altar.
- If you need to be human fast and are out of Human Effigies, place a Small White Sign Soapstone. You will be summoned to another world for around five minutes. Once your duty is fulfilled, you will be returned to your world in human form.
- Have at least one Bonfire Ascetic or one Human Effigy (if you have the Effigy you can skip to step 3).
- Go to Majula or the first Bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giants and get all the Effigies in there (see Availability for further information).
- With at least one Human Effigy go to Darkdiver Grandahl and offer him this Effigy so you can go to Dark Chasm of Old.
- Kill all the Abyss Phantoms for Ascetics. They are a common drop. By using the Ascetics in the right areas you can get 6 to 8 human effigies.
- Easy places to farm effigies are the first bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants and the mansion in Majula:
- Burning Ascetics at the Forest bonfire will respawn the chest under the first bridge in the area, meaning you can get 5 per Ascetic, and the enemies in this area are easy enough that you can fight them even at NG+7 levels.
- Burning Ascetics in Majula will respawn the skeletons in the basement of Cale's mansion, and they are guaranteed to drop one Effigy each. This method is a bit harder to do, but the more Ascetics you burn, the more skeletons will be in the basement, up to a total of 8 (Ng+7). So you can get 8 guaranteed effigies per ascetic once the Far Fire has reached an intensity of 8 or higher. Bear in mind that the skeletons get very difficult and have a lot of HP, and there are 8 of them, but it pays off in the end.
- A good place to farm Effigies from enemies is in Shrine of Amana by killing Lizardmen. Equip the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, Jester's Cap, and use Rusted Coins to boost your Item Discovery. Start from the Tower of Prayer bonfire and work your way until you reach the cave with the chest and four Amana Aberrations inside, then rinse and repeat. 15 Effigies were found in 40 minutes using this method.
- You can buy infinite Prism Stones from Sweet Shalquoir after opening the Shrine of Winter. If you trade these with the Dyna and Tillo, you get a chance to gain Human Effigies from them. Small Smooth & Silky Stones and Smooth & Silky Stones can be traded too, but the chance of getting Human Effigies from the silky stones is smaller. You can farm enemies for souls that keep respawning like the Stone Soldiers in Drangleic Castle, so this technique may not net you with a Human Effigy every time, but you can do it forever.