A warm, soft, shadow-like effigy.
Use this item to reverse Hollowing.
It also weakens the links to other worlds,
preventing invasions and most cooperation.
Peer closely at an effigy, and one begins
to perceive a human form, but whose form
it takes depends on the person looking.
- Reverse hollowing to regain human form and max HP.
- Burn while resting at a bonfire to disable most forms of PvP and co-op.
- Given to Darkdiver Grandahl to enable access to the Dark Chasm of Old.
Where to buy:
- Five sold by Merchant Hag Melentia for 1,500 souls each.
- Five sold by Magerold of Lanafir in Iron Keep for 3,000 souls each.
- 13 sold by Grave Warden Agdayne in Undead Crypt for 3,000 souls each.
- Three sold by Darkdiver Grandahl for 3,000 souls each. Join the Pilgrims of Dark covenant in order to make him available as a merchant.
Chest and Corpse locations:
- Found in a chest on the second floor of the Fire Keepers' dwelling in Things Betwixt.
- In a chest under the rope bridge when going from Majula to Forest of Fallen Giants. (Note: This chest will replenish if a Bonfire Ascetic is used at the nearby bonfire.)
- On a body near the Heide Knight in Forest of Fallen Giants.
- Treasure in Forest of Fallen Giants, after the boulder trap in the cave where Cale the Cartographer is.
- Treasure in Forest of Fallen Giants, on some scaffolding.
- One on a body resting on the railing near the first bonfire in Heide's Tower of Flame.
- Five in a chest in Heide's Tower of Flame, right before the Old Dragonslayer boss fight.
- In the tunnel from Heide's Tower of Flame to No-man's Wharf, the first item in front of you.
- In No-man's Wharf, on top of a row boat in the last section.
- Near the Heide Knight in the Lost Bastille, down in the rubble of the ruined wall.
- At the bottom of the ladder that leads to the long hallway with cells and the Ruin Sentinels boss fight in the Lost Bastille.
- After the Servant's Quarters bonfire in the Lost Bastille, on the edge of the wall behind some boxes.
- One in the last poison mist of Harvest Valley, in an alcove (three at Bonfire Intensity 2+).
- Earthen Peak, on a platform in the room with large gears.
- At the end of Belfry Sol on a corpse.
- Treasure in Iron Keep. At the Threshold Bridge bonfire, directly below the staircase (beware of fire damage).
- Treasure in Sinner's Rise. Follow the outside stairs downwards, on the broken end lies a corpse with the treasure.
- On a body in the misty part of the Shaded Woods.
- Treasure in Shaded Woods behind a pillar, near the Head of Vengarl.
- Three in a chest in the open area with Lion Clan Warriors in Shaded Woods.
- Five in a chest in Brightstone Cove Tseldora. At the Royal Army Campsite bonfire, located inside a stone house which is accessible by jumping down the well. (Note: This chest will replenish if a Bonfire Ascetic is used here.)
- Treasure in Shrine of Amana, just before the fog gate leading to the Crumbled Ruins bonfire.
- Treasure in Shrine of Winter after the Heide Knight.
- On the staircase with a wall trap in Dragon's Sanctum.
- In Dragon's Sanctum, next to the bridge raised by the Dragon Stone contraption.
- Three in Memory of the Old Iron King.
- Dropped by Old Ironclad Soldiers in Forest of Fallen Giants.
- Dropped by Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame.
- Dropped by Stray Dogs in various areas.
- Dropped by Skeletons. Guaranteed drop from the ones in the Majula mansion (one skeleton per Bonfire Intensity level, max 8, do not respawn).
- Dropped by Lizardmen in Shrine of Amana.
- Dropped by Petrifying Statue Cluster and Poison Statue Cluster in Shulva, Sanctum City and Cave of the Dead.
- Dropped by Cask Runners.
- Starting gift choice.
- Gift from Lucatiel of Mirrah when you meet her for the second time (exhaust her dialogue).
- Six can be obtained by killing Strowen the Fire Keeper, or by returning to her after obtaining the King's Ring.
- Burning Bonfire Ascetics in Majula will respawn the skeletons in the basement of the mansion, and they are guaranteed to drop one Effigy each. The more Ascetics you burn, the more skeletons will be in the basement, up to a total of 8 at Bonfire Intensity 8. This means you get 8 Effigies per Ascetic once the Far Fire has reached an intensity of 8 or higher. Bear in mind that the skeletons get very difficult and have a lot of HP, and there are 8 of them, but it pays off in the end.
- In Shrine of Amana you can farm Effigies by killing Lizardmen. Start by equipping Item Discovery gear. Then go to the Tower of Prayer bonfire and work your way until you reach the cave with the chest and four Lizardmen inside, then rinse and repeat.
- You can buy infinite Prism Stones from Sweet Shalquoir after opening the Shrine of Winter. If you trade these with the Dyna and Tillo, there is a chance to get Human Effigies. Small Smooth & Silky Stones and Smooth & Silky Stones can be traded too, but the chance of getting Effigies from the silky stones is smaller.
Disabling Online Activity
When burning an effigy at a bonfire, online activity is disabled for that area for half an hour.
- A status effect icon of a crossed-out soapstone will indicate that the effect is still active and applies to your current area.
- Online activity can resume after waiting a half hour for the effect to finish. The timer must be waited out in the area where it was used, and quitting/reloading or entering the area on the next playthrough will not reset it.
- The player is protected from Cracked Red Eye Orb invasions. The player cannot use or summon signs created by the White Sign Soapstone, Small White Sign Soapstone, Red Sign Soapstone, nor the Dragon Eye.
- It will not protect the player from Bell Keeper invasions or Rat King Covenant summons, as effigies cannot be burned at the bonfires of their corresponding areas.
- It will not protect the player from Blue Sentinel invasions if they have acquired enough sin (needs confirmation).
Other Ways to Regain Humanity
- The Altar of Amana in the Shrine of Amana restores your humanity as long as you are completely out of effigies. This includes having zero in your item box.