aka NPC Tombstones
Many important characters in Dark Souls 2 can be killed, accidentally or on purpose. Most of them can be revived, albeit temporarily, by interacting with their gravestones. Reviving costs souls. Their revival will only last until you load another area.
The amount of time it takes for a Gravestone to appear depends on the NPC. It can range from a couple of hours to several hours.
Losing Special Services
The purpose of the gravestones is so you can interact with NPCs after they've died. Sometimes this allows you to continue using their services uninhibited, asides from the revival cost, but this isn't always the case. In most situations where an NPC is killed before they've arrived at their final location, their gravestone will only spawn where they were killed. It will not move or have available services/ items updated. Here are a few specific examples (but not the only cases):
- If Melentia is killed in the Forest of Fallen Giants, her gravestone will remain there and she will not offer the unlimited supply of Lifegems that become available in Majula.
- If Ornifex is killed in the Shaded Woods, her gravestone will remain there and she will not offer her weaponsmithing services that become available in Brightstone Cove Tseldora.
Additionally, the following functions/ services are lost for all NPCs that apply:
- NPCs that are normally summon-able for co-op will not be available for co-op after they're killed, and their questline will be "frozen" where it was.
- Most NPCs that give rewards based on how many souls you've spent with them will not gift these items at their gravestone. This includes NPCs that do otherwise update their inventories with other goods based on the player's game progress.
Maintaining Special Services
In most cases where an NPC is at their final destination, their inventories will continue to update properly. A couple examples include:
- If in Majula, Melentia's gravestone will have its inventory updated to include slain NPCs' gear, more Brightbugs, etc.
- If in Majula, Chloanne will continue to update her inventory based on your game progress as well.
Check the notes in the table below for more specifics or anomalies.
NPC Revival Info
|Blacksmith Lenigrast||2,000||3 Hours||Offers full services, even if his house is unlocked after killing him.|
|Carhillion of the Fold||3,500|
|Cromwell the Pardoner||7,000||5 Hours||Offers full services after death, including pardon.|
|Felkin the Outcast||7,500|
|Grave Warden Agdayne||3,000|
|Head of Vengarl||3,000|
|Laddersmith Gilligan||13,000||Ceases to offer ladders, other interactions remain.|
|Licia of Lindeldt||7,000||4 Hours|
|Maughlin the Armourer||3,500||2.5 Hours||Ability to update inventory after death depends.1|
|Merchant Hag Melentia||4,000||1.5 Hours||Will update inventory if killed in Majula.|
|Rosabeth of Melfia||4,000||2.5 Hours||Ghost form wears default ragged clothes, option to gift clothes is lost.|
|Royal Sorcerer Navlaan||9,000||3.5 Hours||Lose out on missions, though able to purchase items.|
|Steady Hand McDuff||3,500||3 Hours||Able to accept Dull Ember and offer services, even if killed right away.|
|Stone Trader Chloanne||2,500||2.5 Hours||Will update inventory if killed in Majula.|
|Straid of Olaphis||14,000|
|Weaponsmith Ornifex||11,000||4 Hours||Offers services only if killed in Brightstone Cove Tseldora.|
|Belfry Guard||4,500||Gravestone appears at both locations, regardless of location killed.|
|Blue Sentinel Targray||6,000|
|Darkdiver Grandahl||5,500||3.5 Hours||Inconsistent results, do not kill if you intend to enter the Abyss.2|
|Magerold of Lanafir||8,500||4.5 Hours||Able to accept the Petrified Egg after death and offers usual services.|
|The Rat King||3,500||Grave appears only at location of death.|
|Saulden, the Crestfallen Warrior||500|
|Cale the Cartographer||2,000||1.5 Hours||Able to gift House Key if killed in Forest of Fallen Giants.|
|Creighton the Wanderer||2,500|
|Benhart of Jugo||3,000|
|Emerald Herald||2,500||5 Hours||Grave spawns in Majula, regardless of death location. Services remain.|
|Griant||1,000||2 Hours||Reviving is pointless.|
|Lucatiel of Mirrah||3,500||1.5 Hours|
|Manscorpion Tark||2,500||2.5 Hours||Able to gift event items.|
|Mild Mannered Pate||2,000||1 Hour||Able to gift White Sign Soapstone if killed in Forest of Fallen Giants.|
|Morrel||1,000||2 Hours||Reviving is pointless.|
|Housekeeper Milibeth||1,000||2 Hours|
|Strowen||15,000||2 Hours||Found around the right side of hut's front entrance, accepts Soul Vessel.|
- Going to NG+ will resurrect all NPCs.
- Use of Bonfire Ascetics will not resurrect NPCs.
- Deaths and Tombstone Locations of all NPCs (video)