Dark Souls 2 expands the player's offensive ability in combat when using two weapons at the same time. When you equip compatible weapons in each hand, you can enter a power stance, which allows new attack animations and the opportunity to inflict greater damage on your opponents.
While in power stance, R1 and R2 will keep the regular attacks of your right hand weapon. Thrusting swords R2 becomes a parry(only the rapier parry which always does it). Your L1 will become a combo attack using both weapons and L2 will be a single powerful attack using both weapons.
Your power stance attacks will vary depending on held weapons. Some weapon types have priority on the power stance attacks type. (ex. dagger < curved sword = straight sword < greatsword)
If two weapons have the same priority (ex. curved sword and straight sword), the power stance attacks type will be dictated by the right hand weapon.
In order to enter power stance, you will need to:
- Have 1.5x the max required stats of your equipped weapons.
- Your two equipped weapons need to be compatible. (more testing needs to be done to confirm which weapons work together / at all).
- Example of compatible weapons : Greatsword / Curved Sword, Thrusting Sword / Straight Sword, Dagger / Katana
- Example of incompatible weapons : Dagger / Thrusting Sword (This may be incorrect, I have tried out a rapier with falchion, longsword, and spear. All have let me enter power stance and have dual animations. Currently testing it out. Will add more info when I know more.)
|Right Hand Weapon|
|Left Hand Weapon||Axes||Claws||Curved Swords||Curved Greatswords||Daggers||Fists||Greataxes||Great Hammers||Greatswords||Halberds||Hammers||Katanas||Lances||Reapers||Spears||Straight Swords||Thrusting Swords||Twinblades||Ultra Greatswords||Whips|
**Table is a work in progress. There are potentially exceptions for dual wield viability within each weapon type.
- You enter power stance by holding △ (PS3) / Y (360). If your weapons are not compatible or if you don't have the appropriate stats, you will two-hand your left hand weapon instead of entering power stance.
- The stat requirement is 1.5x the higher of the two weapons you are attempting to dual wield, rounded down. So if weapon #1 requires 20 str / 13 dex and weapon #2 requires 18 str / 15 dex, you will need to have 30 str (1.5x 20) & 22 dex (1.5x 15 = 22.5, rounded down to 22).
- In power stance, you forgo your shield and your ability to block with the weapons. Therefore, attack and roll timing are crucial to effectively dual wield.
Here's the weapon hierarchy and what it means:
Straight Swords/ Curved Swords/ Katanas
The moveset works from the top to the bottom. If you have a spear in one hand and an axe in the other, you will have the spear power stance moveset. This is regardless of which hand the weapons are held in.
The hand in which the weapons are held only matters if they have the same spot in the hierarchy (such as curved swords and katanas, or lances and spears). Then they will take the moveset of the weapon in the right hand. If the weapon has a special attack, for example Ricard's Rapier, it can only be used if held in the right hand.
Note: Estoc/Mace does not work.
Different Strong Attack with Curved Swords in your Left Hand
A curved sword in your left hand can use a strong attack, instead of parrying as normal, when attacking with a weapon in you right hand first. Some of them also have attacks not normally found in the weapon's regular move set.
How do you use these 'different' strong attacks you might ask? Well, for example, say I have a Longsword equipped in my right hand and a Falchion in my left hand. To do the 'different' strong attack I would first need to do a regular attack (R1/RB) with my Longsword then quickly use the strong attack (L2/LT) with my Falchion. Instead of parrying like normal, the Falchion will actually use its R2/RT strong attack even though it is be held in the left hand.
Things to note:
- You can't be in a power stance
- You must have a weapon equipped your right hand
- You must have the necessary stats to use each weapon effectively (needs testing)
- You must have the necessary stats to do a power stance (needs testing)
Compatible Weapon Classes
Basically which weapons can you use in your right hand to override your left hand's curved sword parry animation. Testing was done on a 45 STR/DEX character with one weapon used from each category and using the Falchion as the left hand weapon.
|Weapon Class||Works? (Yes/No)|