Tossing this into a bonfire strengthens nearby foes.
Once the Bonfire Ascetic is devoured by
the flames, its effects can never be reversed.
Be prepared before using this perilous ember.
Fire exhibits a connection to the curse,
and when the flames grow stronger,
so does the curse.
Burn at bonfire to strengthen nearby foes.
- Bonfire intensity, indicated in the area warp menu, permanently increases by 1.
- Enemies and items respawn, which makes ascetics valuable for farming.
What the Bonfire Ascetic resets:
- All monsters in the area, including "killed only once" versions and scripted Dark Phantom invasions. This resets the "15 kills" counter back to zero.
- Crystal lizards
- All items found on corpses.1
- Boss opening cutscenes.
- Bosses themselves. All of them in case of multiples.
- Wooden Chests
What the Bonfire Ascetic doesn't reset:
- All opened shortcuts stay opened.
- Metal Chests
- Special encounters, like the first one with the Pursuer.
- Doesn't reset NPCs (nor their aggression)
- NPC inventory
- Giant souls in memories (to farm Giant Souls, use the first Black Gulch bonfire)
Bonfire ascetics may or may not update merchant inventories to include NG+ or NG++ items. For example, Chancellor Wellager will not sell NG++ items until the player is actually in NG++. However, Maughlin the Armourer will sell the Moon Butterfly Set with use of an ascetic at the Far Fire (headpiece and shield requires two ascetics), and Magerold of Lanafir will sell the Dragonrider Set with use of an ascetic on the Threshold Bridge bonfire.
Some NG+ loot may appear by using a bonfire ascetic. For example, Gower's Ring of Protection appears in the Shaded Woods (along with the Lloyd's Talismans that were previously available at intensity 1 in the same spot) if an ascetic is used on the Ruined Fork Road bonfire.
New enemies may also drop new loot. For example, using an ascetic on the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic Castle will not only respawn the two bosses attached, but will also spawn twin Pursuers in the formerly empty castle throne room. One drops the Ring of Blades +2, and if two ascetics are used, one will also drop the Washing Pole.
Normal enemies may also drop loot they did not drop before; for example, the Heide Knight enemies can now drop the Heide Knight Set. Additionally, many bosses drop new items upon death, in addition to dropping the same items that they dropped at bonfire intensity 1.
To find out which bonfire respawns a specific boss (and what new loot in addition to normal loot is dropped), see below.
|Boss||Area Bonfire||Additional Loot||Notes|
|The Last Giant||Forest of Fallen Giants - Cardinal Tower||None||Also respawns The Pursuer.|
|The Pursuer||Forest of Fallen Giants - Cardinal Tower||None||Also respawns The Last Giant.|
|Dragonrider||Heide's Tower of Flame - Heide's Ruin||None|
|Old Dragonslayer||Cathedral of Blue - The Blue Cathedral||None||Bonfire located after the boss room.|
|Flexile Sentry||No-man's Wharf - Unseen Path to Heide||Possible Suspicious Shadow drops||Gains 2 Suspicious Shadows, with unique item drops:
Malformed Claws, Shadow Dagger, Shadow Set
|Ruin Sentinels||The Lost Bastille - McDuff's Workshop||None||Requires Bastille Key or shortcut opened by rolling explosive barrel down stairs.|
|The Lost Sinner||Sinner's Rise - The Saltfort||Old Witch Soul||In NG+, gains two Black Phantom pyromancers at 60% health.
These do not appear with use of an ascetic in NG.
|Belfry Gargoyles||Belfry Luna - Upper Ramparts||Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2||Bonfire located after the boss room.|
|Skeleton Lords||Huntsman's Copse - Undead Lockaway||Clear Bluestone Ring +2|
|Executioner's Chariot||Undead Purgatory - Undead Purgatory||Chloranthy Ring +2||Bonfire located after the boss room.|
|Covetous Demon||Harvest Valley - The Mines||None|
|Mytha, the Baneful Queen||Earthen Peak - Upper Earthen Peak||Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +2||Bonfire located behind an illusory wall above the boss room before entering.|
|Smelter Demon||Iron Keep - Threshold Bridge||None|
|Old Iron King||Iron Keep - Eygil's Idol||Old King Soul||Bonfire located up a ladder in the rooms leading to the boss room.|
|Scorpioness Najka||Shaded Woods - Shaded Ruins||Southern Ritual Band +2|
|Royal Rat Authority||Doors of Pharros - Ordeal's End||None|
|Prowling Magus & Congregation||Brightstone Cove Tseldora - Royal Army Campsite||None|
|The Duke's Dear Freja||Brightstone Cove Tseldora - Lower Brightstone Cove||Old Paledrake Soul|
|Royal Rat Vanguard||Grave of Saints - Grave Entrance||None|
|The Rotten||Black Gulch - Hidden Chamber||Old Dead One Soul||Bonfire located after a pathway along edge of cliff before the boss room.|
|Dragonriders||Drangleic Castle - Forgotten Chamber||None|
|Looking Glass Knight||Drangleic Castle - Central Castle Drangleic||Ring of Steel Protection +2|
|Velstadt, the Royal Aegis||Undead Crypt - Undead Ditch||Royal Soldier's Ring +2||Also respawns Vendrick.|
|Vendrick||Undead Crypt - Undead Ditch||None||Also respawns Velstadt, the Royal Aegis.|
|Darklurker||Drangleic Castle - Under Drangleic Castle||None|
|Demon of Song||Shrine of Amana - Rhoy's Resting Place||None|
|Guardian Dragon||Aldia's Keep - Ritual Site||None|
|Ancient Dragon||Dragon Shrine - Shrine Entrance||None|
|Giant Lord||Forest of Fallen Giants - The Place Unbeknownst||Ring of Giants +2||Respawns all of the Memories of the Ancients.|
|Throne Defender & Throne Watcher||Drangleic Castle - King's Gate||Ring of the Evil Eye +2||Also respawns Nashandra and Twin Pursuers.|
|Nashandra||Drangleic Castle - King's Gate||None||Also respawns Throne Defender & Throne Watcher and Twin Pursuers.|
Using a Bonfire Ascetic will irreversibly change the corresponding area's difficulty into the same as the next New Game Plus cycle2. All bonfires in the first playthrough start with the intensity of "1". Entering NG+ increases all bonfires by an additional point (all become "2" if no ascetics were used), however using 1 ascetic during the first playthrough will change one specific bonfire to "2". Upon entering NG+, while normally all bonfires would change to "2" that bonfire will now change to "3".
Bonfire Intensity can be increased to 99, though enemy stat increases max out at 8 (NG+7).
You can still burn Bonfire Ascetics after you reached Bonfire Intensity 99, everything will respawn as normal. Just the number wont go up anymore.
Enemy Souls Dropped
|2||x * 2|
|3||x * 2.5|
|4||x * 2.75|
|5||x * 3|
|6||x * 3.25|
|7||x * 3.5|
|8||x * 4|
Early testing indicates that it will differ from enemy to enemy. Though the values found so far have either been equal to, or less than, the souls dropped multiplier.
- Take it as a starting gift
- One sold by Stone Trader Chloanne for 7,500 souls
- Ten sold by Royal Sorcerer Navlaan for 7,500 souls each
- Ten sold by Darkdiver Grandahl (after joining the Pilgrims of Dark covenant) for 7,500 souls each
- In the last tower in the Lost Bastille before Sinner's Rise, there is a door to your right as you go up the steps to enter. Open this and enter the room with the cage lifts, and roll onto the ledge below.
- At the end of a path of lava rocks near the first bonfire of Iron Keep
- Exit the Prowling Magus boss room in Brightstone Cove Tseldora and turn around to face the building, look for a ladder which leads to the attic with various items including a Bonfire Ascetic.
- Three in a chest after the Looking Glass Knight in King's Passage
- Found in a chest beneath the shrine after Demon of Song
- In a chest up the stairs from the second bonfire of Undead Crypt, near the Leydia Witch
- Two in a chest on top of the main stairs of Aldia's Keep, to the right
- Three in a metal chest in Dragon Shrine. First door to the right of the first knight.
- Memory of Jeigh, first platform to the left after entering the fog gate
- Memory of Orro, three in a metal chest found by knocking down a wooden platform and jumping into the hole in the wall
- Memory of Vammar, behind the two giants on the roof
- Dropped by all enemies in Dark Chasm of Old (abyss dungeons)
Most reliable source
The enemies you find in the portals that you unlock for the Pilgrims of Dark covenant drop Bonfire Ascetics at a very good rate. You need to be rank 3 with the covenant to make the portals permanent, otherwise you need to sacrifice a Human Effigy to open one of the portals. These are infinitely farmable as you can keep using one of the Ascetics you have picked up while farming them to reset the portal. The best way to do just this without it affecting the difficulty of any areas with enemies in it is to use Ascetics to reset the bonfire underneath Drangleic Castle and all this will reset is this portal.
- Be warned, as any area you enhance with a Bonfire Ascetic WILL carry over to NG+. This means an area that you have made NG+ level on regular playthrough will then be NG++ on your NG+ playthrough and so on and so forth. Exercise caution when using Ascetics due to this reason, especially in areas you find particularly difficult for yourself.
- Using a total of 8 Bonfire Ascetic (not counting playthrough number) on each of these bonfires will turn their flame on the map in Majula mansion to blue.
- Forest of Fallen Giants - Cardinal Tower
- Sinner's Rise - The Saltfort
- Iron Keep - Eygil's Idol
- Black Gulch - Hidden Chamber
- Brightstone Cove Tseldora - Lower Brightstone Cove
- Drangleic Castle - King's Gate
- Undead Crypt - Undead Ditch
- Dragon Shrine - Shrine Entrance