Five Belfry Gargoyles protecting the bell tower.
Bonfire Ascetic respawn: Upper Ramparts bonfire.
|1 (NG)||5x 1,400||25,000|
|2 (NG+)||5x 2,660||50,000|
|8 (NG+7)||5x 5,054||100,000|
One is found in the area past the Central Castle Drangleic bonfire. On top of the building containing the Estus Flask Shard. Next to the Alonne Knight Captain. (Only in Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin)
ONE is found in the secret lab across the hall from the Ritual Site bonfire; requires Aldia Key to access. (Only in Scholar of the First Sin)
Boss in Belfry Luna
Non-boss in Aldia's Keep
- Masterless Glencour can be summoned for the boss fight in Belfry Luna. His summon sign is under the second staircase in the tower. (Only in Scholar of the First Sin)
- Jump strike - Jumps up and downward slashes
- Evading sweep - Jumps backwards while sweeping in front of it
- Sneak attack - Jumps and gets behind you, then stabs
- Sweep Swings weapon from right to left (can follow up with second sweep or downward swing)
- Thrust - Thrusts bident forward (can follow up with a left-to-right sweep)
- Tail swipe - swipes tail once or twice if you're behind it
- Fire breath - Breathes a cone of fire in front of it (only when individual is below 50% health)
- Aerial fire breath - Jumps into the air and hovers while breathing fire (only when individual is below 50% health)
- Aerial sweep - Flies up into the air with weapon pointing down and swings upward
- Divebomb - Flies up into the air and charges at you
- Lighting storm - Possibly happens when low on health. Fires up a lighting storm that fires in the immediate vicinity of the caster. (Gargoyle will glow)
- Medium Fire, Lightning and Dark Resistance
- Low Magic Resistance
- Can be poisoned
Gargoyles spawn as follows:
- The fight starts with two Gargoyles.
- When the boss health bar reaches 90%, a third Gargoyle spawns.
- When the boss health bar reaches 70%, a fourth Gargoyle spawns.
- When the boss health bar reaches 50%, the fifth and final Gargoyle spawns.
- If you hit any Gargoyle before the spawn conditions are met, it will join the fight immediately.
- Focus only one Gargoyle at a time to maintain control, as therefore, focus on multiple targets will cause them to gather around you
Kill them off one by one or you'll be swarmed very quickly. The full health ones tend to get in the way when you're using ranged attacks, especially since the hurt ones start breathing fire from the back.
When the gargoyles are attempted early the first playthrough, Strength builds tend to have the easiest time. By far the easiest strategy is to use an upgraded strike-damage strength weapon (like the Great Club) and a Greatshield with high stability. The greatshield will make blocking attacks without running out of stamina easy, and the weapon will be able to take out gargoyles in just a few hits as you find openings to attack. Buff with a resin (ideally Aromatic Ooze, since the gargoyles' lowest resistance is to magic). Titanite Chunks from Belfry PVP can get your weapon to +9 without much trouble. If you're determined to get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2 on the first playthrough by kindling the Belfry bonfire, a +9 Great Club with Aromatic Ooze can take out even bonfire intensity 2 gargoyles in 4 hits.
It can be beneficial to bring consumables like Holy Water Urns and Witching Urns as they can damage multiple Gargoyles at once. Be very careful with this tactic. The AOE damage will decrease the boss bar quicker while not killing the Gargoyles fast enough, leaving you with many more gargoyles than necessary.
Chaos Storm and Flame Swathe are quite deadly against them
*Note, if boss in Belfry Luna is not killed before heading up to The Salfort bonfire, you will see a gargoyle fly over head